September 25, 2007

Paper artist: Jennifer Collier


Lately I've been enjoying looking at the works of a few paper artists that I've recently discovered. One of them is Jennifer Collier, a British artist who creates delicate sculptures out of found objects and discarded papers like music sheets and stamps. She has taken one kind of paper I'm particularly fond of, vintage maps, and transformed it. Maps appeal to me for an entirely different reason than they appeal to my husband- he likes them for the directional purposes (imagine that). I think I'm drawn to the colors, espeically the blues, and irregular shapes- the aesthetic rather than the useful properties- which is why I think they make beautiful shoes! Jennifer Collier also does commissioned works if you have your own paper and ideas. Lovely.





To see other paper artists who work on a much larger scale, you must take a look at Cartasia 2007, the Italian International Paper Festival, which holds installations in several cities. These large sculptures are by Richard Sweeney and Isole Danzanti.

1 Comment:

Brilliant Asylum said...

I love the works with maps. So cool!