September 29, 2008

Feminine decor











I'm going through a phase where I swoon over rooms that are decidedly feminine. I think this was brought on because I'm trying to figure out how to infuse some feminine charm into my own rooms- kind of tricky when my husband's style, which is cool in itself, leans toward the heavier side with accents of steel accessories and darker-colored 40s and 50s retro relics. Softly-colored walls, elegant drapes, sparkling chandeliers and French antiques are calming and pretty and make me feel at home. Maybe an antique French chair with curved lines, a crystal vase kept filled with flowers- something to bring lightness in- could work to counterbalance? It's a challenge. I don't want to fill the space with pink and frills, but there must be a way to add some ladylike charm? (photos: top- designer Suzanne Kasler; Southern Accents; Oct. 2008 House Beautiful; Domino)

13 comments:

E. Floyd said...

Hi, I like how each of these photos seem to have at least one piece of delicate furniture. I really love the bright colors and large expanses of white or neutrals.

God's Princess said...

Some wonderful inspiration :-)

melissa davis said...

Hi MLN-

I'm sorry for writing to you here, but couldn't find an email address on your blog anywhere. ;)

I wanted to email you to let you know about Crown & Crumpet (www.crownandcrumpet.com) a new tea salon in San Francisco. I think- judging from your blog- that you would LOVE it.

I would be happy to email you images and more should you like. Just let me know.

All my best,
Melissa

STYLE RUMORS said...

i love the colors.Great inspirations.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

sigh....sublime. And that's a Moroccan wedding blanket in the pic with the pink pillows, just like the ones I sell:)

Rikke said...

Wow i really love your pictures and your style:)

mln said...

Rikke, thank you for the compliment. And thanks for reading!

{this is glamorous} said...

Such a lovely collection of rooms -- fear am the same, always leaning toward decidely feminine rooms with French antiques and softly pink walls . . .

Jane Flanagan said...

I thought I was over the zigzag rug - but this has reignited my passion!

Gaboushka said...

What a beautiful post!

I love feminine decor - your blog is just great, I've been trailing others for hours and I love yours!

mn said...

Thanks, Gaboushka. Yours is a lovely blog as well!

Victoria Bellow said...

I LOVE it! The combination of light blue, green, and neutrals!the touch of pink, Everything is sooo perfect!love your post and your style.thanks for sharing. :)

Antique Buyer said...

Authentic Provence offers the most distinctive in regards to the tradition and authentic French lifestyle. All garden antiques, planters and French limestone fountains and French limestone mantels are imported from France, Italy and England and are of highest quality. They offer an extensive inventory here in the US thereby eliminating delivery time delays with shipping provided by reliable transport companies across the US, the Caribbean and Canada. They have very friendly, knowledgeable and effective customer service. The owners are European and Wolfgang is an actual Art Historian. They also can study a specific request and if needed have the items custom made to the clients specification. Visit www.authenticprovence.com for more information.