January 28, 2009

Dining room chairs


I've been looking for dining room chairs for the longest time. My table is a very old weathered "farmhouse-type" table of light-colored wood. Currently I have mismatched chairs of darker wood but the look isn't working at all- probably because I don't like the chairs individually.
I love some of the classic Thonet bentwood chairs I've seen recently (those in the 2nd photo of this group are my favorite), however they are so expensive. (photos from domino and the Provence home of this blogger's grandmother)



I've just aquired a set of 4 chairs that look like Tolix chairs- kind of like these above, but with a steel finish, and I'm thinking of painting them. (this photo from coco+kelly)

living etc.




The colorful Eames chairs seem a great match for almost any dining table, but it is a look that has been done to death, I'm afraid! I'm still tempted to use black and white ones. (photos from the home of AB Chao via apartmenttherapy.com; the home of Heather Frazier on apartmenttherapy.com)




These white Bertoia chairs look lovely with this white weathered wood table, especially in such a sunny room! (photo from Jed Johnson)

I like the mismatched look here, but to make it work, I think either everything else in the room needs to be sparse and serene (like this one) or the room should be really spacious. (living etc.)

I also think that the dining chairs matter very little if the kitchen / dining space is this great. (photos: nadia tolstoy's home on apt therapy; domino magazine)

13 comments:

Unknown said...

You can't go wrong with the (extortionately priced but oh so beautiful) Thonet bentwoods. Love the pic gallery, too! Well done.

Who is Blue Hippo Baby? said...

Re: the second picture. I was surprised to see the wrought iron, marble topped table and bentwood chairs I have in my own kitchen! Exactly! Except my chairs are black. Keep your hopes up: I paid $60 for mine, and $50 for the marble table --both found on Craigslist. In searching for the chairs I had a few terms I used such as "ice cream chairs" "bentwood" etc. and I just checked and there are actually two right now for $35 where I live (LA area): http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/fuo/1003862158.html

Good luck and be persistent in getting exactly what you want!!

Anonymous said...

I love you posts! Always tasteful, beautiful. Thanks for brightening my day.

purple area said...

Love these, very inspiring!!

Michelle Parks McCourt said...

We are in the same predicament, looking for cool chairs that are affordable but stylish. We have a farmhouse table lightish wood. Your post has given me lots of ideas! The thonet chairs are gorgeous.

mn said...

Saskia: I'm envious! I'd love a marble table. I'll keep searching CL and flea mkts here in London- Thanks for the tips on the search terms too.

LexyB: Thanks for your compliment!

Anonymous said...

I've also been looking for stylish chairs that will fit my budget. I always need to see the pieces in person so I can sit in them and check the finish. I never trust my computer monitor.

Lori said...

Re: Jan 28th post, 7th photo down.
I love love love the chairs in this photo, can you tell me any thing else about them? I've been searching for them everywhere with no luck. Can you tell me anything about them or where to find them? Or can you tell me what issue of "Living Etc." the photo is from? Any more info you have on them at all would be appreciated. Also, I think your blog is fabulous!

Coco said...

Lovely photo's... I too want some new dining chairs. I already made up my mind and want the Eames chairs in white. I like how the plastic bends a little if you sit in them, they sit nice ;-) I only need some money still :(
Though if I had no cats in my house I probably would go with nice soft fabric covered dining chairs, I only know its going to be hell to keep them clean with cats and children in the house!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Did you paint your chairs? I love those. And I actually love them in green!

Anonymous said...

Love Harry Bertoia!

mn said...

Maryam: No, I didn't paint my metal chairs after all. As soon as I tried them out at the table, I found they were completely too low to sit comfortably. I was quite disappointed, but at least now I have some cool chairs for the garden even if they can't be used in the dining area.

NixieNYC: I'm sorry, I don't know what issue of Living Etc. that photo of the chairs was in, because it's from the website. However, if you do a search for "molded plywood chairs," you will find a lot of chairs that are quite similar. I don't think these are Eames, though. Sorry I don't know more. Hope you find some!

laure said...

actually the second photo down is mine, not domino! It's from my grandmother's house in Provence . Still makes me swoon. She has such good taste.