June 18, 2010

A family's Paris loft

What a charming family loft I found in June 2010's NIDO, a German magazine. I think the article is entitled "From the crate," but German readers can correct me. I love her kitchen shelving is made from old wine crates! The childrens' rooms is my favorite with the little toy loft, lights and art on the walls.

I like that you can see things they use everyday in the photos and it doesn't look completely staged.  I wouldn't say it's untidy, but more normal in the sense that not everything is put away or hidden. 

This home made me think of a new book I recently came across (thanks to Decor8) with the laboriously long title, "A Perfectly Kept House Is the Sign of a Misspent Life: Creative Ideas and Real-life Tips for Making Your Home Lived-in, Warm, Welcoming and One-of-A-Kind ....Worrying About Everything Being Just Right)!" by Mary Randolph Carter. I can't wait to see this book, and I imagine it may show lots of spaces just like this one. It brings up the question of how comfortable you are living with a bit of a "mess." 

I wonder if we become too accustomed to seeing perfect spaces in magazines and if that makes us unsatisfied with our own surroundings if they look less than photo-ready? For example, I hate looking at a hodge-podge of commercial labels on things we use, so I keep those things (unless they're pretty) off the counters and out of sight. I'm sure there are many examples. I also dislike seeing electrical cords, and am always trying to find ways to hide them. However, my house will never look "styled" because I don't have the time or talent. And we actually live in it! But unsightly or messy areas still bother me! What level of "mess" are you comfortable with, and do you find yourself trying to pretty up the unmatching or unsightly things about your space ? (photos by Michel Figuet)

13 comments:

Carola Zajdman said...

This house is just great, love it, like it !!!

Black Zebra said...

I collect old wooden crates, so seeing this family put theirs into good use is great! Cool Pad!

Moon to Moon said...

Oooo that is lovely. I love all the wood in that one picture.

MyFavoriteFrenchAntiques said...

I like a bit of mess. Totally neat is too rigid and sterile.

I like a home to show your personality...and this really comes through in their loft.

Things That Inspire said...

I love seeing spaces in a city - where every square inch must be used to its best advantage. Sometimes in Atlanta we get spoiled by the luxury of space, and can make such big houses because we are not constrained.

Great post!

sara said...

Great post and great blog!
I think there is a huge difference between mess and clutter. A little mess is OK if it makes the space look more personal and lived in, but I absolutely hate clutter! I actully just did a blog post about clutter a couple of days ago on my Interior decoration blog. I like the photos in this post too!

heidi said...

I like the double sinks, I'm struggling to pull something similar together for our bathroom at the moment so this is helpful inspiration!

I also like the blue paint they have on the children's room door. It looks like some kind of a wash.

John said...

Nice Post and Blog! =D

This is mine, hoteloscopy.blogspot.com, please follow me =D

Thanks,
John

la la Lovely said...

So timely.. I think a lot of us feel the same way if we'd admit it. I'm always in ruffle about the house being cleaner and with 3 little kids it seems almost impossible at times. And I do find myself wasting energy and precious time chasing everyone around to clean up this and clean up that every second of the day. That book sounds so interesting & right on.. can't wait to check it out!

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

What an interesting life it would be to live in a LOFT in Paris....so LOVELY and has lots of character.

www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com

Emil und die großen Schwestern said...

your blog is very inspiring! just great! éva

Unknown said...

very cool- I especially love the office type room. I would love to work there. Bohemian yet elegant...

Karen

Carolyn said...

love your blog. Yes, being a frequent peruser of design blogs, i find myself constantly unsatisfied with my meager temporary home here in austria. love this family's style, though.