June 18, 2009

Hidden (and not so hidden) workspaces

domino




Bright, organized workspaces like this make you want to sit down and create something.


this is a good desk solution that takes advantage of the wall space.

Living in an apartment in a city means an entire room devoted to an office or workspace is completely hors du question! So I'm left to figure out how to fashion an area for a desk that frankly, is untidy 90 percent of the time. Having a messy desk in open view disturbs my visual equilibrium, so I'm trying to think of ways to conceal it.


this work area created from two bookcases hinged together is ingenious (Martha Stewart Living).
Budget Living Home Cheap Home via sfgirlbybay

from Canadian Style at Home magazine via small space style



Have any of you found a good solution for hiding your work or craft area? Apartment Therapy had a great post on the Ten Best Hidden Office Solutions. And I've seen several ideas, like creating a desk and workspace inside an armoire. I would love to hear from anyone who has actually used this solution and finds it practical! (lowest photo- unknown source. please let me know if it's yours.)

5 comments:

sophie munns said...

Lovely weblog! Loved you post on that charming parisian shop in early May...and if only I could have my office look like some of these! Good inspiration...
best wishes,
Sophie

Lizzie said...

Out of all the lovely home design blogs out there, I think yours is my favorite! So glad to see you've created a few new posts!!

As for how to hide cluttered office space- what a good question. I like these "curtain" solutions, and am now trying to figure out how to make that work for my space.

mn said...

Sophie: Thank you, and I'm so glad you like the Paris post.

Lizzie: Wow, that's such a kind compliment and hardly deserved. I am so honored. Thank you- it's really appreciated!

Patti said...

On the fourth picture in this post, there's a wee cabinet thing on the wallpapered wall. Where can I get one of those?

p.

Karyn said...

I like the curtain solution best. Sometimes you just can't pick up a work space before company so to be able to just draw the curtain and hide it all would work so well!