April 12, 2010

A special shop in Paris: Astier de Villatte



Last Tuesday I returned from an inspiring and delicious week in Paris. At the suggestion of this lovely blogger Leigh, I used this little book, by the blogger/ stylist extraodinaire Pia Jane Bijkerk, as a guide to find many of the places I wanted to go see. I would certainly recommend this book if you want a glimpse into some special places!

The last day I was there, I decided to make a trip to Astier de Villatte. Though it was out of my way, and on a street where I had absolutly no other ambitions (swanky Rue St. Honore), I went. And I was so glad I did. The shop is gorgeous. I read that the shop is in the former home of Napoleon's silversmith, and so it has kept an 17th century-feel: dimly lit with are low ceilings, uneven floors and small doorways. It's such a charming place, but not in the manufactured sense, you know?

Piled high on tall antique dark wood bibliotheques with are the stacks of white handmade pottery in perfectly uneven and beautiful little shapes. Some embellished, and some completely simple- these are a joy to look at. The pieces look handmade, and I loved them all. The small bowl I chose as a souvenir of my trip now sits in my kitchen window and makes me happy every time I see it.

7 comments:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Paris: Made By Hand is such a lovely book. Looks like you had a great time in Paris - I love it there!

Christina @ My Sparrow said...

They are one of my favorites in Paris! I stop in every time I visit!

I hope you had a wonderful trip!

Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} said...

This shop looks amazing and so antique! I wish I could go there!

klausandheidi said...

I am so jealous. The shop looks fantastic.

Fabulously French said...

One of my favourite shops, love, love this shop.

Leeann x

mn said...

Thanks for all your comments. This really was my one of my two favorite shops I visited, the other being a baby/ childrens' store (Bonton). Having the book as a guide to handmade treasures around the city was so helpful. There's so much left to explore- I can't wait to return.

Leigh said...

Great shop! I didn't got to any shops featured in the book this trip :( but maybe next time. I just love that book! She also has a Handmade Amsterdam book from The Little Bookroom, in case you didn't already know of it.